Don't let care and cleaning stop you from getting pleasure out of your RIEDEL glassware every day! You've made the investment into greater wine enjoyment, now it's time to use them. Our simple instructions below provide advice on how to wash, dry, polish, and store your RIEDEL crystal glasses to ensure a long life!
OUR TOP TIPS
- RIEDEL glasses are dishwasher safe. They have been independently certified by Miele for up to 1500 washes.
- Stack your glasses well spaced out, so they are not touching one another or anything else.
- If available, use stemware rack in your dishwasher as it provides support and stops your glassware from moving around.
- To avoid stains or cloudiness: use soft water (low mineral content)
- To avoid scratches: Avoid glass contact with other glass or metal
- To remove superficial stains: soak your glasses in white vinegar
Using the dishwasher:
RIEDEL glasses are dishwasher safe, so we always recommend using a dishwasher as most breakages occur through accidental mishandling.
- Stack your glasses in the top rack and make use of the glass holder if your machine has one. This is designed to keep your glasses secure so they don’t move during the wash.
- When stacking them, ensure they aren’t touching anything else such as metal utensils or mugs, and are stacked correctly so as not to interfere with other racks or the spray arms.
- Use a good quality dishwasher tablet, designed to care for your glasses and ensure they don’t become cloudy, and white vinegar as an environmental alternative to rinse aid, for an optimum shine.
Only handwash if you don’t own a dishwasher, or you own a machine that doesn't cater to the height of your glasses or offer proper glassware support racks.
- Wash your glasses using warm water and a small amount of dishwashing liquid.
- Hold the glass with your hand cupped around the bowl
- Never hold the bowl and the base at the same time, as any twisting or pressure on the stem may cause it to snap.
Drying & Polishing
- Never dry your glasses upside down on a metal rack, as this can chip the rims.
- Avoid using a tea towel to dry or polish as this can potentially damage your glass.
- We recommend using a RIEDEL Microfiber Polishing Cloth, which will easily dry and polish without leaving behind any lint.
- For extra shine, steam the glass over boiling water before polishing.
- Firstly, hold the bowl of the glass with the cloth, and carefully polish inside and out. Then, hold the glass by the base and carefully polish the base.
- NEVER hold both the base and the bowl at the same time, as any twisting or pressure can cause the stem to snap.
- Admire the perfect result!
Washing your RIEDEL Microfiber Polishing Cloth:
- Wash at boiling temperature (to kill bacteria) with odourless soap
- Should be machine washed at min. 170° F/75° C
- Never use fabric softener when rising your microfiber polishing cloth as this can cause a greasy film to transfer onto the surface of your glasses
- Store your glasses in a closed cupboard, away from your stove and oven, to stop them picking up cooking smells or gathering dust or grime between uses.
- Store them on their bases to ensure you don't chip the rims as they go in and out of the cupboard.
- Do not store them in their boxes as they will take on a musty, cardboard smell that will interfere with your wine’s aroma.