With over 40 years of research and development into discovering how the shape and size of your wine glass impacts your perception of aroma and flavour, it's fair to say that Riedel are the experts in designing products to maximise enjoyment.
Read on to find out how your wine glass can change your wine life.
The Architecture of Stemware
Glassware consists of three parts: the bowl, the stem and the base.
The design (architecture or construction) of a stemmed glass must be designed to ensure that the size, height and width are in perfect balance. The size of the bowl has to be in proportion to the height of the stem and the width of the base. Respecting the exact ratio between these dimensions ensures the glass is correctly and seamlessly balanced.
While the height of the stem and the width of the base are simply part of the glass’s architecture, the bowl is the critical part of the design. Riedel’s Grape Varietal Specific glassware features finely tuned bowls based on three variables – shape, size and rim diameter – to help translate the "message" of wine to our senses.
One Size Doesn’t Fit All: How can each shape provide a unique experience for my wine?
Choosing to use one glass for all varieties of wine means you are making a compromise, as a wine’s bouquet, taste, balance and finish are all affected by the shape of the glass from which it is consumed.
A wine will display completely different characteristics when served in different glasses. These differences can be so vast that when the same wine is served in several different glasses, even experienced wine connoisseurs believe that they are tasting as many different wines as there are glasses.
Grape varietals carry in their DNA unmistakeable flavour profiles, and the size and shape of your glass will impact how you perceive them. Riedel creates glassware that specifically enhances a wine’s harmony and highlight its unique characteristics.
Finding the Right Riedel Glass
- RIEDEL offers both varietal specific glasses for wine enthusiasts and wine friendly glasses for more casual wine drinkers.
- When you choose a grape varietal specific Riedel glass, understand that it is built for a purpose and performs at its best with a specific type of wine.
- If you decide to purchase grape varietal specific glassware, it’s recommended that you select glasses based on your favourite wines.
- Our online shop allows you to filter and browse by variety so you can see the right bowl shape for your favourites, then you can decide on the style and price that suits you.
Serving to Maximise Enjoyment
- Glass hygiene: Serve beverages only in sparkling, clean, odourless glasses. Do not store the glasses upside down or in their boxes to avoid a musty smell.
- Serving temperature: Temperature is one of the biggest components to getting the most out of your wines. Overchilling wines can ice your palate, numbing out elegant characters; wines served too warm will show more alcohol and heavier characters like tannin. Check out more on this topic here.
- Serving per glass: Riedel glasses are specifically designed with a gracious volume to offer wines the room to breathe and to express the unique message of the aroma, so you should never overpour. The recommended serving size is about 100-125ml.